Monday, May 4, 2009

Most Economical Black Copier

Poczytalnia: Marek Węcowski, Aircraft Pericles


I wrote recently about the flood of crap, which regales us with a virtual gazeta.pl. Fortunately Wyborcza printed from time to time he can soar to the heights and release a better text. This time, along with the release of czwartkowo-Friday newspaper supplement newspapers received on the outing, in which beyond history of Anda Rottenberg, and several other up-coming interesting texts, and published the text of Dr. Mark Węcowskiego, a historian of ancient Greece, working for the UW IH , with whom I had the pleasure to have once classes (one of those few unforgettable, a really good course in classical philology) . Doctor Węcowski in his essay gives us the roots of American democracy, showing the Greek, and not just Roman roots.

mention in passing that on one year of study (can not remember 4, 5 and 6) went on pre-seminary insanely boring to Dr. Brodki which UW came to the rescue of Krakow. The seminar concerned the historiography of Latin, and pass second semester was to take place on the basis of a written paper on any topic related to the seminar. I chose the topic, as usual, extremely ambitious: To compare the contemporary United States policy with the policy set out in the letters of the Empire Pliny the Younger (unless that was about it, I do not remember exactly). Well, who conducts classes just nodded, said nothing, nor that the over-ambitious, or that interesting - nothing. It seems that in his opinion, however, the topic was totally sucks quite boring, because you have this, despite the chosen theme of pre-seminary, it really was interested in (as, unfortunately, the majority of philologists), a variant of the verb and nothing else.

Węcowskiemu Praise for Mark so much more life and, above all, an interesting approach to the subject. These types of texts in the best way to update our knowledge of antiquity. Reading the Old Sages merely for beauty tips Latin or Greek grammar, is simply pointless. If we proceed in this manner, lay the first stone at the tomb of ancient science, since we admit that left to us by the Greeks and Romans, the knowledge is completely outdated and there is no reference to this day.

(By the way, on my previous entry about piracy: I allow him now personally. I know that deprive millions of Agora, which could earn on the sale of access to the archive, as well as the blending of BN, which is a 3 zeta zażyczyłby per page photocopy A3 , but I think Mark's article is worth the risk Węcowskiego exposure to the above institutions - so I put below.)





0 comments:

Post a Comment